Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Mosque Madness

Has anyone been following this story out of New York:

"New York City's Landmark Preservation Commission has voted to allow Park51, an Islamic community center often described as the 'Ground Zero mosque,' to go forward. Conservative presidential wannabes Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich issued fiery statements in the last two weeks against the project. The Anti-Defamation League has also come out against building the Islamic center."

I'm curious what everyone thinks out there in blog land. Me, I have no problems whatsoever with an Islamic community center being built near "Ground Zero." From what I understand the center had already been in a planning phase before the attacks to the World Trade Center and even if it wasn't, who cares? I thought one of our founding principles as a country was religious freedom. Or is that freedom only extended to Christians? If a Catholic community center was being built near "Ground Zero" would anyone give two shakes of a dead rats ass?

I understand the argument that it was Islamic extremists that attacked the World Trade Center, but I don't believe those who attacked New York represent the entire Islamic world. Muslims died in the attacks of 9/11 and it wasn't just those flying the planes! Would it not be any different to try to block a National Rifle Association office near the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City? Most members of the NRA must believe that bombing buildings and killing innocent people, including children, is correct when protecting their 2nd Amendment rights, just like Timothy McVeigh. Same argument, just switch around the players involved.

I will go so far to say, that in Oklahoma at least, I'm more terrified of organized Christians than I am of the followers of Islam here or anywhere else in the world. That's just my opinion, what's yours?

Link.

No comments: