Monday, May 02, 2011

Osama Bin Laden is Dead!

Unless you've been living under a rock or in a cave, with the rest of the Taliban, this news shouldn't come as a surprise after the Presidential address and all the celebrating last night. Bin Laden's death evoked a lot of funny responses around the web, here are some the funniest ones I saw last night:

"White House contacts former President Bush to ask to borrow 'Mission Accomplished' banner."

"President Obama apologized for taking so long to get his birth certificate released, he was too busy killing Osama Bin Laden."

"Donald Trump takes credit for the killing of Bin Laden."

"Sarah Palin shoots Bin Laden from a view from her house."

"Donald Trump demands long form death certificate of Bin Laden."


In all seriousness, May 1st, 2011 will go down as a date that I'll always remember what I was doing and what happened, joining four other dates branded in my memory:

June 17th, 1994: The O.J. Simpson Bronco chase. I caught this at home on television in Enid, Oklahoma hanging out with my boyfriend and his cousin at the time. I also remember hearing Simpson's acquittal on the radio driving home for lunch but I don't remember the exact date.

April 19th, 1995: The Murrah Federal Building bombing in downtown Oklahoma City. I heard the news break over the radio while I was working in Enid, Oklahoma. Our idiot Governor blamed the explosion on a gas leak initially!

August 31st, 1997: The death of Princess Diana. This news broke through an Oklahoma State football game I was listening to on the radio on a drive home from Lake Tenkiller.

September 11th, 2001: The World Trade Center attacks, and others, on America. I was getting ready for my late morning shift at work when I watched the drama unfold on NBC's morning broadcast.

I'm certainly glad that Bin Laden has been brought to "justice" but I'm not sure how I feel about all the celebrating last night in New York and Washington D.C. I'm not sure the raucous events of last night are a dignified way for Americans to behave toward any one death regardless of the circumstances. This will be one of the things on my mind in the days ahead. The events of 9/11 were not only tragic in the loss of life and destruction but also in the fundamental change to our country literally over night. A change not for the better in the long run unfortunately.

Thoughts or comments?

4 comments:

Your Favorite Niece said...

I agree! I don't think the rest of the world views our country's celebrating in an equal manner. I posted a quote to my facebook: Tonight is a night for sober and mature reflection, not glee. Mindless celebration is both spiritually inappropriate and politically naive."

Dave said...

I just can't shake the parallel of our celebrations and the celebrations we see on the news from those you have hurt us in some way or another.

Dann said...

What were Osama's last words?

"Hang on, there's somebody at the door."

Dave said...

@Dann, I saw the Facebook status of Bin Laden saying this with the US Navy Seals "liking" the staus. LOL.