Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Official Book Club Selection

I finished reading "Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin" last night. I've wanted to buy the book since it's release but I figured I would get it as a Christmas gift, and sure enough I did. Kathy Griffin, for those who do not know, is a comedian, actress, Emmy Award winner, and star of her own Bravo reality series, My Life on the D-list.

Her book is exactly what I thought it would be and a little more. I knew there would be plenty of dish from Kathy about celebrities she's met throughout her career. It's become a staple of her routine the last few years. What I didn't expect was more detail about her personal life, specifically details about her childhood and her suspicions about her brother being a pedophile. Of course other details of her personal life that were very public in past years also made an appearance in her book. She writes about her near death experience with plastic surgery and her really bizarre break with her husband.

The Good: The dish. I love reading her take on celebrity gossip, it's hilarious and cutting. I also enjoyed reading about some of her more controversial moments from the "suck it Jesus" Emmy Awards speech to her joke about Dakota Fanning that started a shit storm around town.

The Bad: The chapter about her friendship with Steve Wozniak. The format of the chapter was a series of email discussion between Kathy and Steve. I found it to be a little boring and tedious. I'm just not that interested in Steve Wozniak.

The Ugly: Some of the old pictures in the book. There are some body views of her disastrous liposuction procedure and it's pretty gruesome.

I know Kathy Griffin can be a little hard to take, her humor is biting and sometimes way out on the edge. I recommend the book if you're a fan of her work or if you're gay. Are those two things mutually exclusive? Suck it Jesus!

No comments: