Thursday, October 15, 2009

Top Chef: Swine and Wine

Going in to last night's episode of Top Chef: Las Vegas there were two chefs left that I was really rooting for, Ash and Kevin. Now I'm down to one.

The quick fire challenge was as boring as the elimination challenge was interesting. Incorporate some glorified potato chips into food and compliment the flavors. Eww. Product placement anyone? Unfortunately Eli won the quick fire challenge and was granted immunity in the elimination challenge. I was really hoping he'd be voted off the island this week. Maybe next week he'll be sent packing back to mommy. I've come to loathe Eli more than Mike I. and that's saying a lot!

The elimination challenge was a lot more fun, pairing pork with Pinot Noir. Jennifer, Kevin and the brothers Voltaggio seemed to have really nailed the challenge. These four chefs are definitely leading the pack of contestants. I give a slight edge to Kevin right now just based on the amount of wins he's accumulated. One of these four will be your Top Chef winner this year.

On the bottom of the elimination challenge was Ash, Robin and Laurine. No surprises here. Like I said I have been rooting for Ash because he seems to be a really nice guy but he's failed to step up to the plate for several episodes now. Robin is being Robin by holding on each week by not being the worst of the worst. I figured Laurine was toast when her food was compared to cat food! Surprisingly it was Ash who was sent packing. I guess cat food trumps a cold and slimy, one-dimensional pork dish.

So this was the week of infighting and for once the previews from last week didn't disappoint. Robin and Eli going at, Michael V. and Bryan going at it, and Ash taking a swipe at Padme on his way out. It's all petty and disgusting, I love it! Pretty much everyone showed their ass this week, except Kevin, especially by rooting for Robin to be cut when the bottom three were in front of judge's table. Classy. I guess their punishment is that Robin is still around to annoy them.

Next week is the dreaded restaurant wars episode. I can't wait. Here are a few predictions for the next couple of weeks:

Robin and Laurine should be heading home barring some kind of catastrophe by the better contestants. Eli and Mike I. hang on a little longer much to my chagrin.

At some point the brothers Voltaggio are going to have a meltdown based on their overly competitive feelings toward each other. Hopefully it won't be enough to send one of them home as they seem to be two great chefs.

Jennifer needs to calm the fuck down when cooking. She's too tough on herself at times and this could be her downfall or a trip to the ER with chest pains.

1 comment:

h said...

Too early in the season to do a Wine Pairing elimination. There are still two contestants, Laurene and Robin, who don't even know the basics of cookery.