Monday, August 24, 2009

Sunday Funday Monday

In an effort to continue to improve my writing skills (not to mention a way to post more often) I thought it would be fun to have a weekly column. A subject I can write about that has a similar theme but broad enough where I can encompass several different topics. What I came up with is Sunday Funday Monday. Every Monday I’ll try to create a post dealing with my favorite day of the week, Sunday Funday. Sunday Funday for those who’ve never heard the phrase is a day out of eating and almost always drinking that starts early in the day and usually ends in the early evening. I have no clue where the phrase was coined but I first heard it used by restaurant employees to describe going out usually in the afternoon after a brunch shift or after a long weekend working several shifts. It seems to be the restaurant industry’s “Friday night”. For me I can text a number of friends the words “Sunday Funday?” and they would know I’m asking, “What’s the plan today for brunch and drinking this afternoon?” Without further ado, Sunday Funday Monday vol. 1:

What's needed for a successful Sunday Funday? I’m no expert but I’ll try to compile a list based on my limited experience… OK, I’m full of shit, I am an expert!

1. Some friends: One really doesn’t want to celebrate Sunday Funday alone for a multitude of reasons. Brunching and bar crawling is definitely much better with a group so your chances of being the biggest fool of the day goes down depending on the size and drinking experience of the others in the group.

2. A restaurant that serves brunch: We’re really not concerned with the food menu as we are the beverage menu. A lot of restaurants that sever brunch also have mimosa or Bloody Mary specials. Drink liquor cheaply to start the day off with a bang or to get a little hair of the dog to help with last night’s festivities.

3. An early hour bar that’s open on Sunday: Though it is technically possible to drink at home or another social gathering on Sunday, it doesn’t turn into Sunday Funday unless you’re at a bar or maybe a cool ass restaurant with a patio. If you’re at home it’s a party that falls on a Sunday or it's the Super Bowl.

4. Self control: One part of the “experience” I sometimes lack. Crossing over isn’t always pretty but it happens to the best of us, it’s just more fun when it isn’t me! Know your limits if possible, eat some peanuts at the bar, switch to water for a while or pass on the seventh Vegas Bomb.

5. A ride: Trust me, no one wants to spend the night in County lock up or mangled in the hospital just because they thought they could drive home after binge drinking for nine hours. Call a cab, call your mommy or catch a ride with a sober/under the limit friend. Friends don’t let friends drink and drive, drink responsibly, only you can prevent forest fires, etc., etc., etc.

Sunday Funday

It also doesn't hurt to have your very own snazzy Sunday Funday shirt (thanks for mine Kim!). Because good friends don’t let you do stupid things… alone.

No comments: