Friday, February 04, 2011

The Street Lawyer

During "Snowmageddon 2011" I popped over to my parents house to raid my mother's book shelf. I found "The Street Lawyer" (312 pages) by John Grisham, and since the inside of the book said: "David, Happy Birthday '98, Love Always, Mom and Dad," I thought it was probably time I read the book! From Goodreads:

"Michael is a rising star scrambling up the ladder of a giant D.C. law firm. Then one day a violent encounter with a homeless man leads him to discover that his firm harbors a nasty little secret. Michael bolts with a top-secret file and lands in the streets, an advocate for the homeless, a street lawyer, and a thief."

Another by the numbers book by Grisham but entertaining nonetheless. It's an obviously older work of his so I think I enjoyed it a little more than his newer works of fiction. The story centers around an up and coming lawyer in a large D.C. firm who has a life changing experience with a homeless man that leads him to re-evaluate his life and his quest for greed. The story is pretty straightforward and doesn't offer too many twists and turns, unfortunately. As I said before, highly readable and the subject matter of the homeless and their plight, though set in the late 1990's, is still relevant today. Quick, easy, and recommended, especially for fans of John Grisham. This must be one of his few novels that hasn't materialized as a movie over the years.

I'm really going to try to read some heavier fare sometime soon but I've been bogged down with training and studying with my new job...

1 comment:

Dave said...

Thanks! I don't get a lot of comments on my book recap blogs.