Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday

"Good Friday, also known as Holy Friday, Black Friday, Great Friday, is a holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death as believed by Christians at Calvary. The holiday is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and often coincides with the Jewish observance of Passover."

So today is Good Friday. I understand the meaning of Good Friday, the anniversary of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, but I'm unclear as to where the name came from. I've done some digging online and I've been unable to find much of an explanation. Do any of my Christian friends out there want to enlighten me? I certainly wouldn't characterize this day 1,977 years ago as so "good" for Jesus.

Also since today is a day of fasting for Catholics and a day of substitution of meat for fish, would sushi be a satisfactory substitution?

2 comments:

Dave said...

Update: a friend tells me via text that "historically it's when Jesus died, which is 'good' for the sinners he saved."

Dave said...

Another theory floating around out there is that the television show "Good Times" debuted on the Friday before Easter hence becoming know as Good Friday. It was dynomite!!