Thursday, June 15, 2006

Cancun, Mexico: Day 4: Flea Markets and Clubs

Our final day in Cancun... just when my burn was starting to turn bronze. We took the day to go shopping, and I mean ALL FREAKIN' DAY! It's unreal the amount of time that the Brown family can spend shopping without water, food, or water closet breaks. We checked out a modern mall and a Mexican flea market as well as some tourist restaurants and shops. We also stopped in on every jewerly store within a five mile radius along the strip. The only thing I purchased all day was the traditional tee shirts for mom and dad.

Timmy and I at an outdoor shopping area.

Is there anywhere on earth that Planet Hollywood hasn't invaded?

Oh look a Hooters! We picked up an application for Fefe.

Monica and Veve in front of the Hard Rock Cafe. As I mentioned earlier I picked up a couple of shirts for mom and dad here. I'm carrying on the tradition that I belive my brother started; everytime he travels (mostly abroad) he sends us some Hard Rock shirts usually two sizes too big for anyone to wear.

Hail to the King baby!

Timmy spent 400 Pesos for a temporary tatoo that promptly starting peeling off that night.

After the shopping nightmare we relaxed for a bit to prepare for a night on the town. Timmy and I set off to hit some night spots about 11 PM. We stopped off at Carlos n'Charlie's for a couple of drinks and luckily we weren't abducted. Next we walked around the strip while fending off drug and prostitute pushers (you may want to leave the kids at the resort during this part of the trip). Not finding anything of real interest we hopped into a cab in search of the gay bars. Luckily for us the cabby was gay and knew where we needed to go. Naturally the big gay dance club was closed. We finally landed at Picante the oldest gay bar in Cancun located off the strip and in the town of Cancun itself. I have to say I had a blast even though the bar was tiny (about half the size of the Park Club) and I was the only white man to be seen! I was surprised that Timmy's Spanish was so good and grew even stronger with each drink consumed, unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to translate Jagermeister or Rumplemintz. The DJ working the club had a mixing machine that was about the size of my computer keyboard yet it was some of the best music and mixes I've heard in any upscale dance/techno club. We requested 'Dragostea din tei' ('Love in the linden tree)' by O-Zone and it was funny to hear the song in English which is rare back home. By 4 AM it was time to head back to the resort and get a little sleep before the journey home. The gay cabby I spoke of earlier waiter for us all night outside the club, what a guy! We tipped him extremely well.

During the trip I was burned by playing along the beach and pool and then tanned by playing along the beach and pool. I saw Mayan ruins, jungles, and coral reefs! I shopped and drank Mexican beer for hours at a time. The trip was fantastic and I would go back again in a heartbeat not only to partake in some of the activities from before but to find all new adventures! My previous trip to Mexico really soured me on the country but Cancun has really changed my mind.

One last shot of the beach before the return trip home.

Next up, Vegas in one week!

No comments: